[Gluster-users] [Linux-cachefs] [Gluster-devel] Can I use FSCache/Cachefiles with Gluster Native Client mode?

Suresh Jayaraman sjayaraman at suse.com
Wed Dec 5 06:36:07 UTC 2012

On 12/03/2012 05:59 PM, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> On 12/02/2012 10:29 PM, 吴巍 wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> I Download the GlusterFS 3.2.7 Release and it works well. And I want
>> to improve the reading performance with FSCache/Cachefiles model.
>> I use the command line:
>> mount -t glusterfs server1:/test-volume /mnt/glusterfs -o fsc
>> and no error reported. But the local cache function of FSCache is not

Does Glusterfs support fscache? File systems typically have to be
modified to include support for fscache (see fs/cifs/fscache*.[c,h] or
fs/nfs/fscache*.[c,h] in the kernel source for example). IOW, they have
to be fscache aware to be able to use the persistent disk caching.

Have you checked if the option 'fsc' is being silently ignored? Try
mounting with '-vvv' to see whether it reveals more.

What do you mean by "local cache function of FSCache is not active"? Did
you mean that the files are not getting cached? or File are not being
fetched from the cache when re-read?

If it is already supported, are you running the cachefilesd user-space
daemon?

FS-Cache by default uses /var/cache/fscache dir for caching. You could
check whether the cached files are being seen there.

Also, /proc/fs/fscache/stats might reveal more details about pages
marked for caching, retrieved successfully from cache or cache returned
 -ENODATA etc.

--
Suresh Jayaraman