[Gluster-users] Does brick fs play a large role on listing files client side?

Kushnir, Michael (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] michael.kushnir at nih.gov
Tue Dec 4 16:30:24 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

We are in the process of evaluating GlusterFS to replace an ocfs2 deployment as backing storage for a web application server cluster.

My ocfs2 deployment was 8 x 512GB Crucial M4 SSDs in RAID0 connected to an LSI 9260-8i with DRBD protocol C pushed out as an iSCSI LUN via IET.

My GlusterFS deployment right now is 8 x 512GB OCZ Vertex 4 (no RAID) connected to Dell PERC H710, formatted as XFS and put together into a distributed volume.

Client side, I'm seeing much higher response times from GlusterFS. However, listing directories with millions of files take much longer with GlusterFS than with ocfs2. Is this to be expected? Would I see an improvement with ext4 on the bricks?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Kushnir
System Architect / Engineer
Communications Engineering Branch
Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications
National Library of Medicine

8600 Rockville Pike, Building 38A, Floor 10
Besthesda, MD 20894

Phone: 301-435-3219
Email: michael.kushnir at nih.gov<mailto:michael.kushnir at nih.gov>

[VMW-LGO-CERTIFIED-PRO-5-K]