[Gluster-users] Samba "posix locking" = yes or no for Gluster?

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Thu Aug 30 16:08:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:42:01AM -0500, John Jolet wrote:
> i had to turn off posix locking in order to get windows machines to
> be able to write to the shares at all.

Haven't seen that problem.

Looking for background I found this presentation on SMB2 - the next version
of Samba basically, incorporating Windows 8 features - according to which
posix locking will be about the last thing to be implemented there:

http://www.samba.org/~sfrench/presentations/smf-linux-collab-summmit-future-of-file-protocols-smb2.2.pdf

Makes it sound as if posix locking's incredibly hard to implement right.
Which could explain why there are many reports of situations where people
find it necessary to turn it off in the current Samba, despite the assurance
in the Samba docs that there should never be reason to do so.

It also argues somewhat reasonably (even allowing for the presenter's bias)
that going forward SMB2 is likely to progress much faster than NFS4 - and
here we are with Gluster still at NFS3. Wonder if Gluster has/should have
plans for including SMB2 support?

Whit