[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] FeedBack Requested : Changes to CLI output of 'peer status'

Harsh Bora harsh at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Aug 29 08:08:58 UTC 2012

On 08/29/2012 01:16 PM, Deepak C Shetty wrote:
> On 08/29/2012 04:12 AM, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
>> Ok, maybe I didn't explain the true nature in detail:
>> The number of fields and the formatting is all the same. nobody wants
>> to read
>> the output. Instead it is read by scripts most of the time. so the
>> only valid
>> question is the field delimiter, simply to make the output parseable
>> as easy
>> as possible for some scripts.
>
> On the delimiter, I have a point to raise.
>
> In the new format, delimiter is space(s) ? What if a new column got
> added in future
> which has something like "new value" as a value.. then parsing would be
> difficult.
> Current example shown doesn't have any value that has space inside it..
> but wondering if it had, would it still be parse friendly ?

The proposed format is not delimiter based (though intention is to make
it script friendly, it looks like user friendly for direct reading
purpose), and therefore Stephan suggested to make it delimiter based.

If we are not concerned about direct read since Anand proposed to
associate the script friendly output to --mode-script, we will obviously
choose a delimiter which is not a valid character for the value in rest
of the fields.

regards,
Harsh