[Gluster-users] Ownership changed to root

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Sun Aug 26 15:11:47 UTC 2012

Hi Brian,

> This sounds extremely unlikely. mdadm and LVM both work at the block device
> layer - reading and writing 512-byte blocks. They have no understanding of
> filesystems and no understanding of user IDs.

Agreed.

> I suspect there were other differences between the tests. For example, did
> you do one with an ext4 filesystem and one with xfs? Or did you have a
> failed drive in your RAID1, which meant that some writes were timing out?

Both environments were xfs. The only difference is that the original
environment was not using LVM or mdadm -- similar to what I ended up doing
on the second environment in the end. I do plan on testing this out in more
detail soon as I'd like to narrow the issue down further.

> FWIW, I've also seen the "files owned by root" occasionally in testing, but
> wasn't able to pin down the cause.

Good to know - if anything to say I'm not going crazy  :)

Thanks,
Joe