[Gluster-users] Problem mounting Gluster volume [3.3]

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Wed Aug 15 08:08:36 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 12:06:09AM +0200, Paolo Di Tommaso wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    I'm mounting using the following
>
>    sudo mount -t glusterfs master:/vol1 /soft
>
>    The command should be right since, it works in on the server node
>    (master) but it is failing on a client.
>
>    Also I'm using the latests versions 3.3. (and it was working with the
>    3.2)

Same version of Linux on the client and on the server?

What's the output of "gluster volume info" on the server? If you had a
replicated or distributed volume consisting of master:/brick and
slave:/brick, then the client needs to be able to resolve both "master" and
"slave".

Otherwise, something odd is happening. I would first do

    grep -i master /etc/hosts

and look for anything obvious (repeat for any other brick hostnames in the
volume).  Next I would run a DNS tcpdump on the client:

sudo tcpdump -i eth0 -nn -s0 udp port 53

and do the mount again in a different window, and go back to the DNS tcpdump
to see what's seen.

If neither of those turn up anything, I would strace the whole mount
process:

sudo strace -f mount -t glusterfs master:/vol1 /soft 2>strace.log

and then look at the tail end of this log, and see what it was doing just
before it wrote the error to the screen.

HTH,

Brian.