[Gluster-users] kernel parameters for improving gluster writes on millions of small writes (long)

Brian Foster bfoster at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 21:00:08 UTC 2012

On 07/26/2012 11:47 PM, Harry Mangalam wrote:

> So why doesn't the gluster native client do client-side caching like
> NFS?  It looks like it's explicitly refusing to be cached by the usual
> (and usually excellent) Linux mechanisms.
> What's the reason for declining this OS advantage on the client side
> while providing such a technically sweet solution on the server side?
> I'm at a loss to explain this behavior to our technical group.

My understanding is this is a limitation of fuse moreso than glusterfs.
fuse currently fires off each write() it receives to the client fs
(gluster). FWIW, there is a fuse enhancement under development that you
can check out over on fuse-devel:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.file-systems/65661

I can't say whether that would solve your performance problems, but you
could certainly give it a try. I believe the intent is to sink writes
into the page cache (similar to NFS or a local filesystem) and send out
larger requests down to the fuse filesystem when writeback kicks in.

Brian