[Gluster-users] Best GlusterFS design for existing LVM + new

Brian G admin at serverprodigy.com
Thu Aug 2 09:59:39 UTC 2012

I need some help coming up with the best solution for a GlusterFS system.

The application is a streaming media CMS, the existing server is the encoding and streaming server for the system. It has an existing LVM built on 4 x 2TB SATA drives which has almost 7TB of media content.

I want to convert the existing media server to GlusterFS (the content cannot be moved or erased and rebuilt, it has to be converted in situ). Then, I have another identical server which will be added to the first to provide more space for additional content.

The plan is to continue adding servers as the project progresses with the total content storage being 50-100TB total. The DC we currently use is limited to 4 bay servers w/ 2TB drives so the maximum potential storage is 8TB minus overhead (about 7.1TB real world).

I'm an experienced admin but new to Gluster so I need some help figuring out the best way to go about this. I've found tutorials on setting up a clean Gluster system but nothing on dealing with existing files already in a LVM volume group.

I'd even be willing to pay someone to help work out a plan and come up with a how to for us to follow if there is someone w/ the skill level required. The existing content on the system represents a lot of time and effort so I need to make sure as much risk as possible is mitigated.
Thanks,
Brian G - Admin

http://serverprodigy.com