[Gluster-users] Gluster-users Digest, Vol 48, Issue 49

Larry Bates larry.bates at vitalesafe.com
Mon Apr 30 11:42:15 UTC 2012

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:39:57 +0100
> From: Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com>
> Subject: Re: [Gluster-users] Bricks suggestions
> To: Gandalf Corvotempesta <gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com>
> Cc: Gluster-users at gluster.org
>
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 11:22:20PM +0200, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
>>   So, what will you do? RAID1? No raid?
>
> RAID10 for write-active filesystems, and RAID6 for archive filesystems.
>
>>   How does gluster detect a failed disk with no raid? What I don't
>>   understand is how gluster will detect a failure on a disk and the reply
>>   with data on the other server.
>
> I'm not sure - that's what the risk is. One would hope that gluster would
> detect the failed disk and take it out of service, but I see a lot of posts
> on this list from people who have problems in various failure scenarios
> (failures to heal and the like).  I'm not sure that glusterfs has really got
> these situations nailed.
>
> Indeed, in my experience the gluster client won't even reconnect to a
> glusterfsd (brick) if the brick has gone away and come back up.  You have to
> manually unmount and remount. That's about the simplest failure scenario you
> can imagine.
>
>>   With a raid controller, if controller detect a failure, will reply with
>>   KO to the operating system
>
> KO or OK? With a RAID controller (or software RAID), the RAID subsystem
> should quietly mark the failed drive as unusable and redirect all operations
> to the working drive.  And you will have a way to detect this situation,
> e.g. /proc/mdstat for Linux software RAID.
>
>>   Is safer to use a 24 disks server with no raid and with 24 replicated
>>   and distributed bricks (24 on one server and 24 on other server)?
>
> In theory they should be the same, and with replicated/distributed you also
> get the benefit that if an entire server dies, the data remains available.
> In practice I am not convinced that glusterfs will work well this way.
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 10:53:42 +0200
> From: Gandalf Corvotempesta <gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Gluster-users] Bricks suggestions
> To: Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com>
> Cc: Gluster-users at gluster.org
>
> 2012/4/30 Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com>
>
>> KO or OK? With a RAID controller (or software RAID), the RAID subsystem
>> should quietly mark the failed drive as unusable and redirect all
>> operations
>> to the working drive.  And you will have a way to detect this situation,
>> e.g. /proc/mdstat for Linux software RAID.
>>

> KO.
> As you wrote, in a raid environment, the controller will detect a failed
> disk and redirect I/O to the working drive.
>
> With no RAID, is gluster smart enough to detect a disk failure and redirect
> all I/O to the other server?

> [...]
I have been running the following configuration for over 16 months with no issues:

Fluster V3.0.0 in two SuperMicro servers each with 8x2TB hard drives configured as JBOD. I use Gluster to replicate each drive between servers and the distribute across the drives giving me approx 16TB as a single volume.  I can pull a single drive an replace and then use self heal to rebuild. I can shutdown or reboot a server and traffic continues to the other server (good for kernel updates).  I use logdog to alert me via email/text if a drive fails.

I chose this config because it was 1) simplest, 2) maximized my disk storage, 3) effectively resulted in a shared nothing RAID10 SAN-like storage system, 4) minimized the amount of data movement during a rebuild, 5) it didn't require any hardware RAID controllers which would increase my cost.  This config has worked for me exactly as planned.

I'm currently building a new server with 8x4TB drives and will be replacing one of the existing servers in a couple of weeks.  I will force a self heal to populate if wit files from primary server.  When done I'll repeat process for the other server.

Larry Bates
vitalEsafe, Inc.