[Gluster-users] deleted files not giving space back

Gerald Brandt gbr at majentis.com
Mon Apr 23 17:39:02 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm running 3.2.5 on Ubuntu 10.04.  I have a USB drive that stores rotating snapshots of our VM's, and I keep 2 days of snapshots on the drive.

Every night a cron job runs and deletes the oldest snapshots off the drive.  After a few days, the gluster mount, and it's base drive, show 100% full.  If I go into the gluster mount, a du -sh shows the drive to be about 50% full.

If I unmount the gluster mount, restart glusterd, and remount the gluster mount, everything goes back to normal.

At first I tried to just unmount the gluster mount, and then unmount the physical drive.  I couldn't unmmount the physical drive, it was in use.  an lsof got me the attached file.  Each of the .xva files are files that were deleted.  An ls didn't show them on the disk, and a du didn't count their size.  Does anyone know why the files are still actively open?

Gerald