[Gluster-users] Gluster-users Digest, Vol 48, Issue 18 - Horrible Gluster Performance

Ben England bengland at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 14:58:09 UTC 2012

Philip,

What parts of your system perform well?   Can you give a specific example of your workload (what you are asking system to do)?  If it's a mixture of different workloads that's important too.  What version of Gluster and Linux are you using?  My suggestions would be

a) to reset all your gluster tuning parameters to their default values unless you are sure that they actually improve performance, and

b) try to isolate your performance problem to as simple a workload as possible before you try to fix it, and try to determine what workloads DO work well in your configuration.  This will make it easier for others to help.

c) if latency spikes are the issue, this sounds like it could be related to writes being excessively buffered by Linux kernel and then being flushed all at once, which can block reads.  If so, Use "iostat -kx /dev/sd? 5" or equivalent to observe.  You can throttle back "dirty pages" in kernel and avoid buffering dirty pages for long periods of time to avoid these spikes.

http://community.gluster.org/a/linux-kernel-tuning-for-glusterfs/ provides some suggestions that may be relevant to your problem, my recommendations are in a comment here.