[Gluster-users] Forcing identical machine images to have different UUIDs

Brandon Simmons bsimmons at labarchives.com
Tue Sep 13 18:50:12 UTC 2011

I'm playing with gluster on amazon EC2 and recently hit the issue of
UUIDs being identical on machines launched from the same Amazon
Machine Image.

I would like to create a system in which these machines are to a
certain extent disposable, and where some sort of automatic discovery
and scaling can happen. To that end, I think I would like a random
UUID generated on instance launch.

How is the UUID generated and can anyone think of any problems with
this idea? Is it sufficient to just overwrite
/etc/glusterd/glusterd.info with a new random UUID line?

Thanks,
Brandon