[Gluster-users] cluster.min-free-disk separate for each, brick

Dan Bretherton d.a.bretherton at reading.ac.uk
Sat Nov 19 14:12:22 UTC 2011

On 29/09/11 12:28, Dan Bretherton wrote:

> On 08/09/11 23:51, Dan Bretherton wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Dan Bretherton
>>> <d.a.bretherton at reading.ac.uk <mailto:d.a.bretherton at reading.ac.uk>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>>     On 17/08/11 16:19, Dan Bretherton wrote:
>>>

>>>             Dan Bretherton wrote:
>>>

>>>                 On 15/08/11 20:00, gluster-users-request at gluster.org
>>>                 <mailto:gluster-users-request at gluster.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>                     Message: 1
>>>                     Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 23:24:46 +0300
>>>                     From: "Deyan Chepishev -
>>>                     SuperHosting.BG"<dchepishev at superhosting.bg
>>>                     <mailto:dchepishev at superhosting.bg>>
>>>                     Subject: [Gluster-users] cluster.min-free-disk
>>>                      separate for each
>>>                        brick
>>>                     To: gluster-users at gluster.org
>>>                     <mailto:gluster-users at gluster.org>
>>>
>>>                     Hello,
>>>
>>>                     I have a gluster set up with very different
>>>                     brick sizes.
>>>
>>>                     brick1: 9T
>>>                     brick2: 9T
>>>                     brick3: 37T
>>>
>>>                     with this configuration if I set the parameter
>>>                     cluster.min-free-disk to 10% it
>>>                     applies to all bricks which is quite
>>>                     uncomfortable with these brick sizes,
>>>                     because 10% for the small bricks are ~ 1T but
>>>                     for the big brick it is ~3.7T and
>>>                     what happens at the end is that if all brick go
>>>                     to 90% usage and I continue
>>>                     writing, the small ones eventually fill up to
>>>                     100% while the big one has enough
>>>                     free space.
>>>
>>>                     My question is, is there a way to set
>>>                     cluster.min-free-disk per brick instead
>>>                     setting it for the entire volume or any other
>>>                     way to work around this problem ?
>>>
>>>                     Thank you in advance
>>>
>>>                     Regards,
>>>                     Deyan
>>>
>>>                 Hello Deyan,
>>>
>>>                 I have exactly the same problem and I have asked
>>>                 about it before - see links below.
>>>
>>>                 http://community.gluster.org/q/in-version-3-1-4-how-can-i-set-the-minimum-amount-of-free-disk-space-on-the-bricks/
>>>
>>>                 http://gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2011-May/007788.html
>>>
>>>                 My understanding is that the patch referred to in
>>>                 Amar's reply in the May thread prevents a
>>>                 "migrate-data" rebalance operation failing by
>>>                 running out of space on smaller bricks, but that
>>>                 doesn't solve the problem we are having.  Being able
>>>                 to set min-free-disk for each brick separately would
>>>                 be useful, as would being able to set this value as
>>>                 a number of bytes rather than a percentage.
>>>                  However, even if these features were present we
>>>                 would still have a problem when the amount of free
>>>                 space becomes less than min-free-disk, because this
>>>                 just results in a warning message in the logs and
>>>                 doesn't actually prevent more files from being
>>>                 written.  In other words, min-free-disk is a soft
>>>                 limit rather than a hard limit.  When a volume is
>>>                 more than 90% full there may still be hundreds of
>>>                 gigabytes of free space spread over the large
>>>                 bricks, but the small bricks may each only have a
> [...]

Dear All,
If anyone is interested, I managed to produce the expected behaviour by
setting min-free-disk to 300GB rather than 30GB.  300GB is is
approximately 10% of the size of most of the bricks in the volume.  I
don't understand why setting min-free-disk to 30GB (about 1% of the
brick) didn't work; maybe it is too close to the limit for some reason.
I wonder if the default value of min-free-disk=10% is significant.  It
seems that for non-uniform brick sizes, the correct approach is to set
min-free-disk to a value in GB that is approximately 10% of the brick
size in each case.

-Dan