[Gluster-users] Steps after one brick was down

Dominique Kraus-Ahma (extern) extern at kraus-ahma.com
Thu May 26 08:28:55 UTC 2011

Hi all,

i am very new to GlusterFS so please excuse if you feel insulted by my lack
of knowledge.

I have a simple Gluster-Setup:

Volume Name: vol-gface01
Type: Replicate
Number of Bricks: 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: 192.168.11.66:/bricks/brick01
Brick2: 192.168.0.164:/bricks/brick02

For reasons beyond my circumstances Brick2 was gone for quite a while.
However the client still operated on the volume. The second Brick2 is back
online now and i was wondering if there are any steps required from my side
to synchronize or if i can rely on auto healing completely.

I did count the files on Brick1 (that was online all the time) and Brick2
and realized Brick2 had slightly more files (Brick01: 1513, Brick02: 1518).

After i did

root> gluster volume rebalance vol-gface01

the amount of files on both system was even again (1513 both).

Do i always have to do a rebalance in order to fix differences after a
missing brick comes back online again or can i rely on the auto heal process
(no matter if files werde added or deleted on the remaining bricks)?

Thanks in advance,

D.