[Gluster-users] Scaling Gluster

José Celano jcelano at iqingenieros.com
Mon May 23 17:05:42 UTC 2011

Hi Tony:

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Anthony J. Biacco <
abiacco at formatdynamics.com> wrote:

> I think i read somewhere the server in the mount string is only used to
> retrieve the cluster config. So as long as that server is up at time of
> mount, you're fine.

Yes, It is in the offcial documentation.
I am trying to avoid that. My final objetive is high availability.

> If the server goes down after mount, it doesnt matter as the cluster config
> on the mounting servers knows about all gluster servers.

Yes, there is no problem after mounting becasuse I use replication. The
problem is in new mountig processes
after the seleted "master gluster server" crashes.

> Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.
> Personally, i copy the cluster config to all my mounting servers and use
> that file in the mount command instead of a gluster server hostname.

Yes. That is ok, but I am finding an automatic way in case I make an
auto-scalable Gluster deployment.
If something change in Gluster like the number of servers (I could add more
servers later) then I would have
to copy  the new volumen info to my Apache Rol Amazon Image, and this can
not be done automatically.
Other way could be doing a script to load that file from S3 but I would have
to copy the new volume info file
to S3 every time It changes, and I don´t know how this can be done because I
don´t know how monitoring
and catch Gluster volumes changes.