[Gluster-users] Storage Design Overview

Nyamul Hassan nyamul at gmail.com
Wed May 11 12:35:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

We are building a storage cluster with high availability and high
scalability in mind, and GlusterFS project seems very interesting for our
purposes.

We do have some basic questions before we get down and dirty, and would be
grateful if someone could shed some light on this.

1.  Can we mount a GlusterFS on a client and expect it to provide sustained
throughput near wirespeed?  Is there any subjective comparison between
reading from GlusterFS and reading from local drives?  Does it put extra
pressure on the client?

2.  Reliability + Scalability means Distributed Replicated volumes.
 Initially this might be enough for our needs, but as our read requirements
grow, the Striped option looks promising.  Is it possible to mix Distributed
+ Replicated + Striped?

3.  What happens to very large files.  Say 100 GB files.  Are they kept as a
single file in every node that has the file?  Or is it split up and
distributed in blocks?

That's it for now.  I hope these were not too elementary to ask in this
list.  And, thank you beforehand for your time and effort in replying to my
email.

Regards
HASSAN