[Gluster-users] Gluster text file configuration information?

Daniel Mons daemons at kanuka.com.au
Tue May 10 06:15:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Anand Babu Periasamy <ab at gluster.com> wrote:
> RAID10 like is simply distributed volume with replica count = 2.

I think he's referring to mixing stripe+replicate, which was possible
on earlier versions of Gluster (I had rolled this out into production
on Gluster 2.X).

The current Gluster wiki only demonstrates stripe+distribute and
replicate+distribute.

My workflow is typically on a low volume of large files (VFX
industry), which works very well with gluster's striping.  But the
downside is that with Gluster 3.2 and the CLI method, there's no
obvious way to do a "RAID10" style stripe+replicate.  Distribution
doesn't help me at all when I've got a single 10TB file that needs to
be shared across a cluster of 30+ nodes at once.  Due to the large
size of the single file, the distribution option is useless.

In Gluster 2.X, I would configure this "RAID10" like behaviour
statically via config files.  With the new "elastic" approach, it
seems to have been left out.

http://gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.2:_Configuring_GlusterFS_Volumes

The links from that page offer distributed, stiped, replicated,
distributed+striped, distributed+replicated configs.  It's clear
you're missing the replicated+striped option that was available in
Gluster 2.X.

Is there any chance we could see it return?

-Dan