[Gluster-users] Gluster text file configuration information?

Anand Babu Periasamy ab at gluster.com
Mon May 9 00:59:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Horacio Sanson <hsanson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Where can I find documentation about manual configuration of Gluster
> peers/volumes? All documentation seems to be about the gluster CLI. I
> would prefer manual configuration to facilitate automation via scripts
> (e.g. Puppet/Chef).
>
> I also read in this list that it is possible to configure Raid10 via
> text files...  I would also like to experiment with this setup. Any
> related documents on how to do this would be appreciated.
>
> regards
> Horacio

Hi Horacio,
CLI also coordinates with elastic volume manager. You will lose the ability
to perform online volume management operations. Another main reason for
abstraction is to avoid untested combinations. It is possible to use the
auto-generated volume spec files (from /etc/gluster dir) and start
glusterfsd manually. My strong recommendation is to integrate pupper/chef
with Gluster CLI. Integration with CLI takes fewer lines of code than manual
vol spec approach. What trouble did you run in to?  I think it makes sense
for us to document Gluster / Puppet integration and provide examples.

RAID10 like is simply distributed volume with replica count = 2.

--
Anand Babu Periasamy
Blog [http://www.unlocksmith.org]

Imagination is more important than knowledge --Albert Einstein