[Gluster-users] [SPAM?] Do clients need to run glusterd?

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Fri May 6 22:22:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, 6 May 2011 at 5:00pm, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote

>> Glusterd is the management daemon, and it needs to run on all the servers.
>> If you shut down the glusterd service, it stops all volumes by killing the
>> GlusterFS processes. This is why you will see your clients return errors.
>> Glusterd interacts with the 'gluster' command-line tool, and is responsible
>> for creating and starting volumes and making changes to volume
>> configuration.
>
> I'm not seeing errors on the clients.  The errors (well, warnings actually) I
> posted are in /var/log/glusterfs/etc-glusterfs-glusterd.vol.log on the
> *servers*.  I can safely ignore them, then?

OK, a quick test reveals that I'm seeing this with or without glusterd
running on the clients.  Is there anything to that warning?  Again, I'm
seeing this in the server logs whenever a client mounts the filesystem
(using the fuse client):

[2011-05-06 15:20:16.451959] W [socket.c:1494:__socket_proto_state_machine] 0-socket.management: reading from socket failed. Error (Transport endpoint is not connected), peer (172.19.12.4:1022)

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin