[Gluster-users] [SPAM?] Do clients need to run glusterd?

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Fri May 6 21:05:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, 6 May 2011 at 10:57pm, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote

> Assuming we have a distributed replica of two gluster servers:
>
> server1-server2
>
> And several clients (client1, client2, ..., clientN).
>
> If we use the following command line:
>
> 	mount -t glusterfs server1:/test-volume /mnt/glusterfs
>
> Our mount will die if server1 is offline.
>
> Similar, if we use this entry in /etc/fstab:
>
> server1:/test-volume /mnt/glusterfs glusterfs defaults,_netdev 0 0
>
> If server1 is offline, but server2 is online, the client will not be able to
> access the data.
>
> Could anyone shed some light on achieving high availability with glusterfs?

One way is to use ucarp.  Create a hostname, e.g., server.  Then setup
ucarp on each serverN with the IP address of server.  If server1 goes
down, server2 will assume the IP address of server (in addition to its
own).  Obviously, then, use "server" in place of server1 in your mount or
fstab lines.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin