[Gluster-users] Split brain; which file to choose for repair?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed May 4 13:59:50 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 08:24 AM, Martin Schenker wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Is there anybody who can give some pointers regarding which file to choose
> in a "split brain" condition?
>
> What tests do I need to run?

MD5sums.  Did the logs indicate a split brain?  Or are the signatures
simply different?

> What does the hex AFR code actually show? Is there a way to pinpoint the
> "better/worse" file for deletion?
>
> On pserver12:
>
> # file: mnt/gluster/brick0/storage/pserver3-19
> trusted.afr.storage0-client-5=0x3f0000010000000000000000
>
> On pserver13:
>
> # file: mnt/gluster/brick0/storage/pserver3-19
> trusted.afr.storage0-client-4=0xd70000010000000000000000
>
> These are test files, but I'd like to know what to do in a LIFE situation
> which will be just around the corner.
>
> The Timestamps show the same values, so I'm a bit puzzled HOW to choose a
> file.

File sizes and time stamps the same?

Hmmm ... this sounds like an underlying caching issue (probably not
flushed completely/properly on one or more of the units before reboot)
with the base machine.  Check the battery backup  on the RAID and make
sure it is functional.

Also, run an file system check on the underlying backend storage.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com