[Gluster-users] Fwd: FS-Cache and glusterfs?

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Tue May 3 17:19:13 UTC 2011

On 05/03/2011 12:33 PM, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Is it possible to use FS-Cache with glusterfs?
>
> Since it is problematic to work with lots of small files and
> glusterfs, I was wondering if FS-Cache could be of any help here
> (provided that glusterfs, or perhaps fuse, could use it)?

Unfortunately, this would require some non-trivial integration work
because FS-Cache is designed to be used by *kernel based* network
filesystems. The idea has come up before (I'm in the same group as the
FS-Cache maintainer) but I couldn't even say it has been taken all that
seriously. It would probably easier to implement a translator to do this
kind of caching. No matter how it's implemented, it raises some pretty
scary consistency issues so I doubt that anyone will be very
enthusiastic about it.