[Gluster-users] What will happen if one file size exceeds the available node's harddrive capacity?

Yueyu Lin yueyu.lin at me.com
Tue May 3 08:48:41 UTC 2011

Hi, all
    I have a question about the capacity problem in GlusterFS cluster system.
    Supposedly, we have a cluster configuration like this:

    Type: Distributed-Replicate
    Number of Bricks: 2 x 1 = 2
    Brick1: 192.168.1.150:/home/export
    Brick2: 192.168.1.151:/home/export

    If there are only 15 Giga bytes available in these two servers, and I need to copy a file of 20GB to the the mounted directory. Obviously the space is not enough.
    Then I add two bricks of 15GB to the cluster. The structure became to:

    Type: Distributed-Replicate
    Number of Bricks: 2 x 2 = 4
    Bricks:
    Brick1: 192.168.1.152:/home/export/dfsStore
    Brick2: 192.168.1.153:/home/export/dfsStore
    Brick3: 192.168.1.150:/home/export/dfsStore
    Brick4: 192.168.1.151:/home/export/dfsStore

    Now I will copy the file again to the mounted directory. In client, it shows it has more than 20GB space available. But what will happen when I copy the huge file to it since every single brick doesn't have enough space to hold it.

    Thanks a lot.