[Gluster-users] Self-heal impact on performance: is there a definitive answer?

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 04:34:20 UTC 2011

On 3/25/11, R.C. <milanraf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi to everyone.
>
> Experimenting with GlusterFS, my first intent is to evaluate the possibility
> to create an affordable SAN storage for various environments (datastore, VM
> disk images and so on...).

I had been looking at doing the same for a while now. While Gluster is
a great technology and I was very excited by what it could offer, I
don't think Gluster would be suitable for this particular purpose.
Pardon me if I'm wrong but since Gluster works on the file level, I
feel that it isn't really optimal for huge VM images and VM drives.
Any rebuild would require copying entire files and therefore consume
heavy bandwidth and IO.