[Gluster-users] small write speed problem on EBS, distributed replica

karol skocik karol.skocik at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 11:17:12 UTC 2011

I see my email to the list was truncated - sending it again.

Hi,
 here are the measurements - the client machine is KS, and server
machines are DFS0[1-4].
First, the setup now is:

Volume Name: EBSOne
Type: Distribute
Number of Bricks: 1
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: dfs01:/mnt/ebs

With just one client machine writing 1GB file to EBSOne, averaged from 3 runs:

Bandwidth (mean): 22441.84 KB/s
Bandwidth (deviation): 6059.24 KB/s
Completion latency (mean): 1274.47 KB/s
Completion latency (deviation): 1814.58 KB/s

Now, the latencies:

>From KS (client machine) to DFS (server machines), averages of 3 runs.

Latencies:
dfs01: 402 microseconds
dfs02: 322 microseconds
dfs03: 445 microseconds
dfs04: 378 microseconds

Bandwidths:
dfs01: 54 MB/s
dfs02: 62.5 MB/s
dfs03: 64 MB/s
dfs04: 91.5 MB/s

Every server machine has just 1 EBS drive, ext3 filesystem,
2.6.18-xenU-ec2-v1.0 - CFQ IO scheduler.

Any ideas? From the numbers above - does it have any sense to try to
make sw RAID0 with mdadm, or eventually use another filesystem?

Thank you for help.
Regards Karol

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:31 AM, karol skocik <karol.skocik at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Bandwidth (deviation): 6059.24 KB/s
> Completion latency (mean): 1274.47 KB/s
> Completion latency (deviation): 1814.58 KB/s
>
> Now, the latencies:
>
> From KS (client machine) to DFS (server machines), averages of 3 runs.
>
> Latencies:
> dfs01: 402 microseconds
> dfs02: 322 microseconds
> dfs03: 445 microseconds
> dfs04: 378 microseconds
>
> Bandwidths:
> dfs01: 54 MB/s
> dfs02: 62.5 MB/s
> dfs03: 64 MB/s
> dfs04: 91.5 MB/s
>
> Every server machine has just 1 EBS drive, ext3 filesystem,
> 2.6.18-xenU-ec2-v1.0 - CFQ IO scheduler.
>
> Any ideas? From the numbers above - does it have any sense to try to
> make sw RAID0 with mdadm, or eventually use another filesystem?
>
> Thank you for help.
> Regards Karol
>
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Mohit Anchlia <mohitanchlia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can you first run some test with no replica and see what results you
>> get? Also, can you look at network latency from client to each of your
>> 4 servers and post the results?
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:27 AM, karol skocik <karol.skocik at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>  I am in the process of evaluation of Gluster for major BI company,
>>> but I was surprised by very small write performance on Amazon EBS.
>>> Our setup is Gluster 3.1.2, distributed replica 2x2 on 64-bit m1.large
>>> instances. Every server node has 1 EBS volume attached to it.
>>> The configuration of the distributed replica is a default one, my
>>> small attemps to improve performance (io-threads, disabled io-stats
>>> and latency-measurement):
>>>
>>> volume EBSVolume-posix
>>>    type storage/posix
>>>    option directory /mnt/ebs
>>> end-volume
>>>
>>> volume EBSVolume-access-control
>>>    type features/access-control
>>>    subvolumes EBSVolume-posix
>>> end-volume
>>>
>>> volume EBSVolume-locks
>>>    type features/locks
>>>    subvolumes EBSVolume-access-control
>>> end-volume
>>>
>>> volume EBSVolume-io-threads
>>>    type performance/io-threads
>>>    option thread-count 4
>>>    subvolumes EBSVolume-locks
>>> end-volume
>>>
>>> volume /mnt/ebs
>>>    type debug/io-stats
>>>    option log-level NONE
>>>    option latency-measurement off
>>>    subvolumes EBSVolume-io-threads
>>> end-volume
>>>
>>> volume EBSVolume-server
>>>    type protocol/server
>>>    option transport-type tcp
>>>    option auth.addr./mnt/ebs.allow *
>>>    subvolumes /mnt/ebs
>>> end-volume
>>>
>>> In our test, all clients starts writing to different 1GB file at the same time.
>>> The measured write bandwidth, with 2x2 servers:

>>> 2 clients: 4.1 MB/s
>>> 3 clients: 2.4 MB/s