[Gluster-users] How to use gluster for WAN/Data Center replication

Harald Stürzebecher haralds at cs.tu-berlin.de
Thu Mar 10 09:48:32 UTC 2011

2011/3/10 Mohit Anchlia <mohitanchlia at gmail.com>:
> How to setup gluster for WAN/Data Center replication? Are there others
> using it this way?

AFAIK, GlusterFS performance depends mostly on network latency ->
Ethernet vs. Infiniband
The high latency of a WAN connection will make every (uncached) file
or metadata access very slow, compared to a local network.

> Also, how to make the writes asynchronuous for data center replication?
>
> We have a requirement to replicate data to other data center as well.

If you want to DIY:

http://fak3r.com/geek/howto-build-your-own-open-source-dropbox-clone/
http://code.google.com/p/lsyncd/

might be an option...

Disclaimer: I have not tried a setup like that yet, I don't know if it
would work with two GlusterFS-mountpoints.

regards,

Harald Stürzebecher