[Gluster-users] Gluster and multi-homed hosts?

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Thu Jun 30 14:01:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 06:41:49AM -0700, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

> >> Put another way, I have a gluster server with multiple IP addresses,
> >> and I want different clients to use different addresses to talk to the
> >> server, and for each client I want to choose which address it uses to
> >> talk to the server.
> >>
> >> Can I do think with gluster?  If so, how?
> >
> > Use Gluster's built-in nfs3 server.
>
> I should have specified that I want to use the Gluster native client.

Hmm, why? An nfs client will do just what you want in terms of assigning a
single address for the connection. The Gluster client, by contrast,
downloads the specification of the storage cluster on initially establishing
the connection, and works from that. There may be a way to alter that to get
the behavior you want. It would be a kludge though, where an nfs client just
works that way.

> And also that the servers themselves might need to use different
> interfaces to communicate with one another.

That can work with Gluster just fine. You can have the servers on a separate
LAN just for communications with each other, or if a replicated pair just a
crossover. That's not an officially supported configuration, but it works
for me.

> In which case, I take it the answer to my question is "no"?

Few questions have binary answers, even in computing.

Whit