[Gluster-users] [Gluster3.2 at Grid5000] 128 nodes failure and rr scheduler question

François Thiebolt Francois.Thiebolt at irit.fr
Sun Jun 12 13:30:20 UTC 2011

Hello,

To make things clear, what I've done is :
- deploying GlusterFS on 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 nodes
- running a variant of the MAB benchmark (it's all about compilation of openssl-1.0.0) on 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 nodes
- I used 'pdsh -f 512' to start MAB on all nodes at the same time
- on each experiment on each node, I ran MAB  in a dedicated directory within the glusterfs global namespace (e.g. nodeA used <gluster global namespace>/nodeA/<mab files>) to avoid a metadata storm on the parent directory inode
- between each experiment, I destroy and redeploy a complete new GlusterFS setup (and I also destroy everything within each brick i.e the exported storage dir)

I then compare the average compilation time vs the number of nodes ... and it increases due to the round robin scheduler that dispatches files on all the bricks
2 : Phase_V(s)avg   249.9332121175
4 : Phase_V(s)avg   262.808117374
8 : Phase_V(s)avg   293.572061537875
16 : Phase_V(s)avg   351.436554833375
32 : Phase_V(s)avg   546.503069517844
64 : Phase_V(s)avg   1010.61019479478
(phase V is related to the compilation itself, previous phases are about metadata ops)
You can also try to compile a linux kernel on your own, this is pretty much the same thing.

Now regarding the GlusterFS setup : yes, you're right, there is no replication so this is a simple stripping (on a file basis) setup
Each time, I create a glusterfs volume featuring one brick, then i add bricks (one by one) till I reach the number of nodes ... and after that, I start the volume.
Now regarding the 128bricks case, this is when I start the volume that I get a random error telling me that <brickX> does not respond, and this changes every time I retry to start the volume.
So far, I didn't tested with a number of nodes between 64 and 128

François