[Gluster-users] Crossover cable: single point of failure?

Daniel Manser daniel at clienta.ch
Fri Jun 10 09:57:56 UTC 2011

 Dear community,

 I have a 2-node gluster cluster with one replicated volume shared to a
 client via NFS. If the replication link (Ethernet crossover cable)
 between the Gluster nodes breaks, I discovered that my whole storage is
 not available anymore.

 I am using Pacemaker/corosync with two virtual IPs (service IPs exposed
 to the clients), so each node has its corresponding virtual IP, and if
 one node fails, corosync assigns the failing IP to the other running
 node). This mechanism works pretty good so far.

 So, I have:

   gluster1: IP 10.196.150.251 and virtual IP 10.196.150.250
   gluster2: IP 10.196.150.252 and virtual IP 10.196.150.254

 Now I am using DNS round-robin to distribute the load on both gluster
 nodes (name: gluster.mycompany.tld).

 If one node goes down, the virtual IP is handed over to the remaining
 node, and the client works without any disruption. However, if the
 replication link between the gluster nodes breaks, we examined a service
 disruption. The client was then unable to write data to the cluster. The
 replication links between gluster nodes seems to be a single point of
 failure. Is that correct?

 Daniel