[Gluster-users] Invalid argument on delete with GlusterFS 3.1.1 client

Dan Bretherton d.a.bretherton at reading.ac.uk
Tue Jan 18 11:18:33 UTC 2011

It is interesting to know that the problem is related to link files.  I
have found a way to find and delete them all on back-end filesystems,
using a command like the one below.

find /brick/path -size 0b -perm 1000 -exec /bin/rm -v {} \;

I used this technique once in the past, before I realised what link
files were, after I rescued some data from a non-functioning GlusterFS
volume after some of my early experiments went wrong (- definitely not
recommended or supported). I deleted the link files from the backend
filesystems before transferring the files brick by brick.

This might be a solution to our current problem; the link files seem to
be regenerated again when the files are accessed, but I don't know what
other side effects there might be.  Even if this procedure did work and
was safe, I suspect the effect would only be temporary.  The problem
seems to affect files randomly, including old and newly created files.
The only work-around we have found is to to use NFS instead of GlusterFS
to mount the data.  I am trying to stick with GlusterFS for our compute
servers for performance reasons, and we have found that moving problem
files to another location, using an NFS client, then moving them back
again, allows the files to be accessed normally on GlusterFS clients again.

-Dan.