[Gluster-users] Rebalance Question

Mike Hanby mhanby at uab.edu
Mon Jan 3 16:16:41 UTC 2011

Howdy,

The wiki page (http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1:_Rebalancing_Volumes) doesn't specify whether or not you need to run the rebalance command on all servers, or only a single server?

Say, for example, I have 2 servers, each with 9 x 1TB bricks built into a single distributed volume. I check the brick available space on both servers and see that one brick on each server is out of balance with the others, enough to warrant a rebalance.

Do I have to run the rebalance on both servers, on only one of the servers?

Also, Is there any way to configure gluster 3.1 so that critical messages get emailed to root (or a specified user) in addition to getting logged in the /var/log/gluster logs?

Thanks,

Mike