[Gluster-users] Gluster Installation and Benchmarks

David Pusch pusch.david at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 10 11:23:43 UTC 2011

Hello,
I am a Trainee in an IT-Firm and have been tasked with creating a basic
gluster System for testing purposes. The setup went fine and creating a
Server Pool was also unproblematic. Now to my problem, I created a 6 node
Server Pool, with each node running 2hdds that have been partitioned to be 2
50%partitions. This leaves me with 3 "export" partitions per node. I set up
an 18 brick distributed replicated Volume with a replica 6 setting. The
gluster is connected with a cisco gbit switch and cat6 cables. The network
setup has been evaluated with iperf and constantly yields 978 mbit/s across
the board.
When I benchmarked the system with bonnie++, it took ages and the output
showed that "Per Char" writespeed was 9 K/sec and latency around 976ms.
Overall speed of the hdd's used is fine when simply transferring files
between them, but when I try to copy to a mounted gluster volume from a
client in the network speed drops to around 24MB/s.
I hope that someone can tell me why gluster is performing so badly.
If it helps I can attach bonnie++ logs in html format for the different
nodes and export directories.
Thanks in advance,
David