[Gluster-users] Does gluster make use of a multicore setup? Hardware recs.?

Martin Schenker martin.schenker at profitbricks.com
Wed Apr 27 08:39:12 UTC 2011

Hi all!

I'm new to the Gluster system and tried to find answers to some simple
questions (and couldn't find the information with Google etc.)

-does Gluster spread it's cpu load across a multicore environment? So
does it make sense to have 50 core units as Gluster server? CPU loads
seem to go up quite high during file system repairs so spreading /
multithreading should help? What kind of CPUs are working well? How much
memory does help the preformance?

-Are there any recommendations for commodity hardware? We're thinking of
36 slot 4U servers, what kind of controllers DO work well for IO speed?
Any real life experiences? Does it dramatically improve the performance
to increase the number of controllers per disk?

The aim is for  a ~80-120T file system with 2-3 bricks.

Thanks for any feedback!

Best, Martin