[Gluster-users] Client hang on find of directories

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sun Apr 24 20:11:21 UTC 2011

On 04/24/2011 03:03 PM, Burnash, James wrote:
> Gluster 3.1.1
>
> CentOS 5.5 (servers), CentOS 5.2 (client).
>
> /pfs2 is the mount point for a Duplicated-Replicate volume of 4 servers.
>
> Given this command line executed on the client:
>
> root at jc1lnxsamm46:/root # time find /pfs2/online_archive/2010 -type d –print
>
> and this output:

[...]

> Client was originally deployed as GlusterFS 3.0.4, that was uninstalled,
> version 3.1.1 was installed, and then later upgraded to 3.1.3.
>
> Any ideas on what is going on here?

possibly multiple things.  Looks like a slow stat issue, compounded by a
run-time link issue.  You might need to locate where you installed your
glusterfs installation, and make sure it is included in a file in
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/gluster.conf

	/usr/local/lib
	/usr/local/lib64

then run

	ldconfig -v

and then restart gluster.

As to the slow aspect, large directories with many stats will take a
very long time.  At this point in time, we are turning off stat-prefetch
and a number of other things by default due to breakage, for
deployments.  This will negatively impact stat performance (requiring at
least one round trip per stat), and show up as huge time delays in large
directories.

It might help to turn up debugging on the servers, and pastebin the logs.

> Thanks,
>
> James Burnash
>
> Unix Engineering
>

> DISCLAIMER:
> This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by
> the addressee(s)named herein and
> may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you
> are not the intended recipient of this
> e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
> copying of this e-mail and any attachments
> thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error,
> please immediately notify me and permanently
> delete the original and any printout thereof.E-mail transmission cannot
> be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.
> The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
> omissions in the contents of this message which
> arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
> NOTICE REGARDING PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY
> Knight Capital Group may, at its discretion, monitor and review the
> content of all e-mail communications.
>
> http://www.knight.com <http://www.knight.com/>

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO