[Gluster-users] replica count documentation

Burnash, James jburnash at knight.com
Fri Apr 15 14:36:30 UTC 2011

Actually, my understanding is that the replica count actually refers to how many bricks each file will be replicated to. The distinction is that if you have multiple bricks on a single server, you can create the volume in such a way that all replication is done within that single server.

In order to make sure that replication happens ACROSS servers, you must make sure that the bricks defined in the gluster create volume stanza look like this:

Gluster volume create replicate 2 <server1>:/brick1 <server2>:/brick1 <server1>:/brick2 <server2>:/brick2 etc ...

This construction will mirror each brick onto the other server, allowing complete failure of either server while still keeping the volume up. It's also handy for upgrading each server in turn without a service disruption.

The documentation is not specifically explicit about this scenario and its implications ... or wasn't, last time I looked.

James Burnash, Unix Engineering