[Gluster-users] Gluster client v3.0.4-1 appears to be terminating and then restarting itself.

Elbert Lai theelbster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 17:23:18 UTC 2011

My server and clients are both using  glusterfs v3.0.4-1 in this
environment, and it looks like on some hosts, the client is restarting
itself at regular intervals. I've found these occasional log lines in the
client log. It looks like the client is hitting an error and restarting.
It's causing a problem, because after this occurs, there is one more client
process running. The previous client process doesn't exit, and a new client
process gets started. At this point, it doesn't look like it causes a real
production problem, but it's setting off my nagios alerts, because they
monitor the # of procs that should be running.

[2011-04-06 01:22:23] N [fuse-bridge.c:3140:fuse_thread_proc]
glusterfs-fuse: terminating upon getting ENODEV when reading /dev/fuse
[2011-04-11 01:18:33] N [fuse-bridge.c:3140:fuse_thread_proc]
glusterfs-fuse: terminating upon getting EBADF when reading /dev/fuse

However, these lines don't always accompany a client restart. Does anyone
know if this has been fixed in the current version of gluster? Is it even a
bug? I've done some searching, but I haven't found anything conclusive.
Alternately, is it something that can be fixed via configuration?

I've included my client config file in case it helps.

# Gluster Client configuration /etc/glusterfs/glusterfs-client.vol
volume remote1
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option transport.socket.nodelay on
  option remote-host host1
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume remote2
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option transport.socket.nodelay on
  option remote-host host2
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume remote3
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option transport.socket.nodelay on
  option remote-host host3
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume remote4
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option transport.socket.nodelay on
  option remote-host host4
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume remote5
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option transport.socket.nodelay on
  option remote-host host5
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume remote6
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option transport.socket.nodelay on
  option remote-host host6
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume remote7
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option transport.socket.nodelay on
  option remote-host host7
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume remote8
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option transport.socket.nodelay on
  option remote-host host8
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume replicate1
  type cluster/replicate
  subvolumes remote1 remote2
end-volume

volume replicate2
  type cluster/replicate
  subvolumes remote3 remote4
end-volume

volume replicate3
  type cluster/replicate
  subvolumes remote5 remote6
end-volume

volume replicate4
  type cluster/replicate
  subvolumes remote7 remote8
end-volume

volume distribute
   type cluster/distribute
   subvolumes replicate1 replicate2 replicate3 replicate4
end-volume

volume writebehind
  type performance/write-behind
  #option aggregate-size 128KB