[Gluster-users] gluster 3.0.x change client IP access list without restarting and questions on upgrade to 3.1

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 16:10:02 UTC 2011

Hi,

Doing a quick google search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=glusterfs%20update%20configuration%20without%20restart&btnG=Google+Search
shows that 3.1 supports dynamically changing the glusterfsd.vol
configuration without having to restart the servers, for example
adding or removing authenticated IP addresses. I guess this isn't
possible with 3.0.x (killall -1 glusterfsd)? It seems like
reads/writes are terminated on clients rather than hung whenever
glusterfsd on the servers is restarted.

I skimmed over http://europe.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.0_to_3.1_Upgrade_Guide
, but for an upgrade from glusterfs 3.0.x to 3.1, is the 3.0.x
glusterfsd configuration file and client configuration file compatible
with 3.1 ? Can I just update the RPMs on the servers and clients then
restart? Is the striping algorithm the same, allowing for striped data
across multiple storage bricks in 3.0.x to be read/not be corrupted in
3.1 ?

Thanks,
Sabuj