[Gluster-users] [3.1 Beta]: raid 1 volume with gluster command and some other questions

Christian Haintz christian.haintz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 17:41:36 UTC 2010

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply.

On Sep 27, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Amar Tumballi wrote:
> bash#  gluster volume create test-mirror replica 2 <brick1>
> <brick2> ... <brickN>

This should be actually the line I haven't found documented. But
probably i just didn't search for it hard enough.
Is the argument "replica 2" already documented somewhere os should i
browse the code in the meantime for all the possible arguments to
gluster command?

> The second thing i don't know is how i can activate translators and
> authentication with the new gluster command.
>

>  I didn't understand the question clearly.. can you re-phrase it?
> What do you mean by 'activating translator' and what is
> 'authenticating with new gluster command'?

Ok, i try it again. There therea are translators available in
glusterfs (see [1]). How do i set the translaters in 3.1. E.g. the
quota translater, how/where do i config it. I thought it should be
possible to do this with the gluster command otherwise i have to
manually configure glusterfsd.vol files on all nodes. How do you
achieve translator configuration in Version 3.1? Or better: What is
the best/recommended way in 3.1 to achieve this?

The second part of the question is about the authentication mechanism
in glusterfs. IP based and user/password based. What's the best way to
configure this feature in 3.1? In the previous version you had to
manually change the glusterfsd.vol files.

> Is there some "hidden" documentation somewhere?
>

> Documentation is in progress and we intent to get everything upto
> the mark soon. You can find 3.1 related docs here :
>
> http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1_Release_Notes:_Introduction
>
> http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/GlusterFS_3.1beta
>

> And there is nothing 'hidden' if it gets written. The problem is
> whatever is in code/working is not yet penned down..

Sorry for the missunderstanding, I meant 'hidden to me' in the sense I
wasn't able to find documentation regarding my questions for 3.1

Regards,
Christian

[1]  http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/User_Guide#Translators

--
Christian Haintz
Student of Software Development and Business Management