[Gluster-users] proposed new doco for "Gluster 3.1: Installing GlusterFS on OpenSolaris"

Paul Pettigrew Paul.Pettigrew at mach.com.au
Thu Sep 23 01:31:02 UTC 2010

Hi all

Reference: http://support.zresearch.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1:_Installing_GlusterFS_on_OpenSolaris

I have found this guide to be too brief/terse, and have endeavoured to improve it via more of a recipie/howto approach - and possibly misunderstood the intent of the brief directions in the process.

Please advise if there are any errors?

Once the procedure is corrected/confirmed by the experts, I propose it replace the current one - so more people can combine the benefits of ZFS and Gluster.

Regards,

Paul
============

To install GlusterFS onto OpenSolaris, perform the following steps, based on the doco:
 http://support.zresearch.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1:_Installing_GlusterFS_on_OpenSolaris

pkg install SUNWarc
pkg install SUNWhea
pkg install SUNWgcc
pkg install SUNWbinutils

Now, we need to add in support for installing CSW library files:

pkgadd -d http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/pkg_get.pkg
 all

vim /root/.bashrc

Add to the end of the file:

PATH=/opt/csw/bin:$PATH
export PATH

Logout and back into root terminal session, check the path value:
# echo $PATH
/opt/csw/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

Now lets go ahead and run the program, and make it update itself in the process:

pkg-get upgrade
pkg-get install automake
 y (attribute change)

pkg-get install autoconf

pkg-get install gm4

pkg-get install bison

pkg-get install flex
 (nb: not flex_new)

Note:
GNU Bison 2.3 - /opt/csw/bin (GlusterFS works with this Bison)
GNU Flex 2.5.4 - /opt/csw/bin (GlusterFS works with this Flex)
Note: Gluster Filesystem is incompatbile with the SUNWflexlex package, installed in /usr/sfw/bin. You need to use GNU Flex instead.

Use the GNU make utility (do not use the Solaris make command). Use the following build instructions:

export PATH=/usr/sfw/bin:$PATH
mkdir /usr/src/gluster
cd /usr/src/gluster
wget http://ftp.gluster.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/3.0/LATEST/glusterfs-3.0.5.tar.gz
gunzip -d glusterfs-3.0.5.tar.gz
tar -xf glusterfs-3.0.5.tar
cd glusterfs-3.0.5
LDFLAGS="-L/opt/csw/lib" ./configure --disable-fuse-client --disable-ibverbs
make CFLAGS="-g -O0" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/csw/lib"
make install

Confirm the app is ready to run:

/usr/local/sbin/glusterfs --version

The build information is displayed, for example:

glusterfs 3.0.5 built on Sep 23 2010 01:22:02
Repository revision: v3.0.5
Copyright (c) 2006-2009 Gluster Inc. <http://www.gluster.com>
GlusterFS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of GlusterFS under the terms of the GNU General Public License.