[Gluster-users] Automounting problems

Dan Bretherton d.a.bretherton at reading.ac.uk
Tue Sep 7 12:47:19 UTC 2010

Dear All,
I would like to mount a GlusterFS volume via autofs, but I have been
having some problems after following the instructions in the Client
Installation and Configuration Guide.  I am using GlusterFS version
3.0.5.

In my first attempt I tried specifying the path to a volume file, as
in the example from the Guide.  Here is my autofs file entry.

/data-alt/gorgon  -fstype=glusterfs
:/usr/local/Cluster-Config/etc/glusterfs/gorgon-mount.vol

When I tried this I got the following error in my client log file,
with date and time removed for brevity:

E [glusterfsd.c:394:_get_specfp] glusterfs: error while getting volume
file from server
/usr/local/Cluster-Config/etc/glusterfs/gorgon-mount.vol

Secondly, I tried pointing at one of the GlusterFS servers, as in
another example from the Guide.  Here is the line from my autofs file.

/data-alt/gorgon  -fstype=glusterfs  :behemoth.nerc-essc.ac.uk

The server in question has the client volfile in /etc/glusterfs, but
the client is not able to fetch the file from the server.  Here is the
error from the client log file.

E [glusterfsd.c:394:_get_specfp] glusterfs: error while getting volume
file from server behemoth.nerc-essc.ac.uk

Obviously the server needs to be configured in some way to allow
clients to fetch volfiles from it.  Can somebody explain to me how to
do this?  I also tried some variations on the same theme, as shown
below with their corresponding errors.

/data-alt/gorgon  -fstype=glusterfs behemoth:/etc/glusterfs/gorgon-mount.vol
E [fetch-spec.c:60:fetch_cbk] top: GETSPEC from server returned -1 (No
such file or directory)
E [glusterfsd.c:394:_get_specfp] glusterfs: error while getting volume
file from server behemoth

/data-alt/gorgon  -fstype=glusterfs :behemoth:/etc/glusterfs/gorgon-mount.vol
mount.vol' does not conform to standards.
E [fetch-spec.c:203:get_shrub] trans: validating translator failed
lusterfs/gorgon-mount.vol

/data-alt/gorgon  -fstype=glusterfs behemoth:gorgon-mount
W [socket.c:1468:socket_init] trans: disabling non-blocking IO
W [socket.c:1468:socket_init] trans: disabling non-blocking IO
E [fetch-spec.c:60:fetch_cbk] top: GETSPEC from server returned -1 (No
such file or directory)
E [glusterfsd.c:394:_get_specfp] glusterfs: error while getting volume
file from server behemoth

The last of these was an attempt to mimic how I mount the volume
exported by my Gluster Storage Platform cluster.  Unfortunately  I
can't automount that either, even though the client does manage to
fetch the volfile from the Plaform cluster head node.  When I try to
automount the directorythe mount process just hangs.  Here is my
autofs file entry associated with this separate problem.

/data-alt/bdan  -fstype=glusterfs bdan0:bdan-tcp

The volfile is successfully fetched from the server and echoed to the
client log file, but then nothing happens.  I would appreciate any
suggestions relating to both these problems.

Regards,
Dan B.

/data-alt/gorgon  -fstype=glusterfs bdan0:bdan-tcp

--
Mr. D.A. Bretherton
Reading e-Science Centre

Tel. +44 118 378 7722