[Gluster-users] Old story - glusterfs memory usage

Krzysztof Strasburger strasbur at chkw386.ch.pwr.wroc.pl
Mon Mar 29 06:54:48 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 03:40:27PM +0100, Amon Ott wrote:
> > Now we should check, whether fuse_forget() is called at all during the
> > test. I would not assume blindly that it is.
>
> Added a counter to fuse_forget():
> [2010-03-26 15:34:31] N [fuse-bridge.c:3203:fuse_thread_proc] fuse:
> unmounting /home/user after 42732 forgets
Great. BTW, is the number of forgets consistent with the number of touched files?
If the latter would be significantly larger, it could mean that the kernel decided not to forget some inodes, for whatever reason.
Hmmm. The calls to forget could be also made after the umount request. The solution would be to log each forget() with its time stamp. I know, this means flooding the logfile, but for a test, we could live with it.
But maybe not needed. I remember running glusterfs under valgrind and there were lots of still allocated memory before exiting.
So fuse_forget() does not forget?
Just thinking.
Krzysztof