[Gluster-users] Mounting gluster volume from fstab at boot - Specifying multiple server nodes

Jon Swanson jswanson at valuecommerce.co.jp
Mon Mar 15 08:05:32 UTC 2010

Hi Tejas,
Thanks for the response.

We have a cluster consisting of 6 machines, configured as 2 distributes
over 3 nodes, which are then replicated.

A-|\              /|-D
B-|-Dist      Dist-|-E
C-|/ |         |  \|-F
      |         |
      |         |
      .Replicate.

In theory, we can lose a few different nodes here without any
interruption of service. The client, let's call it 'Z', has an fstab
entry to mount the gluster volume depicted above from 'A'. As soon as
the client connects, it gets the information for the entire volume of
course, so if 'A' goes down at any point after that there are no
problems, everything is transparent to the client.

If 'A' happens to be down when 'Z' boots however, it will never make any
connection.

It feels like there should be a way to specify multiple hosts at the
initial mount time, as as parsed through fstab, without having to
maintain a volume definition on every single client.

There's a big chance i'm misunderstanding something here, and
wholeheartedly welcome any corrections.

Thanks,
  jon

Note: one solution is to just have multiple lines in the fstab. This
works but is very hacking and generates notifications in all cases:
NodeA         /mnt glusterfs
rw,allow_other,default_permissions,max_read=131072 0 0
NodeD         /mnt glusterfs
rw,allow_other,default_permissions,max_read=131072 0 0

Note2: This is a /very/ limited case, and quite easy to diagnose so is
in no way a show stopper.