[Gluster-users] Problem With AFR

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Sat Mar 6 20:58:10 UTC 2010

At 08:13 AM 3/6/2010, Chad wrote:
>I second this question/request.
>When the 1st server goes down, how do we
>eliminate the hang time? 5 seconds is a long time for a file system to be hung.

it is a long time, but if you think about other
HA filesystems, this is one of the shortest I've seen.

hardware NAS devices, when there's a node
failure, will often take 30 seconds to 2 minutes
to fully recover.  In light of the alternatives, 5 seconds is remarkable.

if you're getting these delays on a regular basis
then something is wrong, but if it's something
that just happens in the face of a failure, then it should be relatively rare.
if it happens all the time, then you really need
to figure out why your systems are failing and resolve that problem.

Just my .02