[Gluster-users] glusterfs-volgen

Chad ccolumbu at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 22:55:19 UTC 2010

Ok, here is what I did (I am also using CentOS):
1. mkdir /usr/src/glusterfs on my primary data server.
2. wget the following packages:
glusterfs-client-3.0.2-1.x86_64.rpm
glusterfs-common-3.0.2-1.x86_64.rpm
glusterfs-debuginfo-3.0.2-1.x86_64.rpm
glusterfs-devel-3.0.2-1.x86_64.rpm
glusterfs-server-3.0.2-1.x86_64.rpm

3. rsync the /usr/src/glusterfs dir to all server and client machines
4. On the servers install everything, on the clients install glusterfs-client, glusterfs-common, and glusterfs-debuginfo
5. mkdir /etc/glusterfs on all machines
6. Create a partition to share
7. run the following (if you have more data servers you can list more than 2):
/usr/bin/glusterfs-volgen -n <cluster_name> -r 1 -c /etc/glusterfs <ip of the primary server>:<path to mount point of the partition to share> <ip of the
secondary server>:<path to mount point of the partition to share>

7. rsync the .vol files to all machines.
8. Start glusterfsd on the servers (I have 2)
9. add this to your /etc/fstab (even on the servers if you want access to the partitions from the servers)
/etc/glusterfs/<cluster_name>.vol  /<gluster client mount_point>               glusterfs       defaults        0 0
10. run mount -a

That is it. Please feel free to ask me more questions if this is to terse or unclear in some way.

^C