[Gluster-users] FUSE I/O Lockup while accessing glusterfs shares

Hugo Cisneiros (Eitch) hugo.cisneiros at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 19:08:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 4:00 PM, RW <gluster at tauceti.net> wrote:
> What distribution, kernel and GlusterFS versions are you using?

Oops, sorry :) I forgot to say.

Clients:
glusterfs-common-3.0.4-1
glusterfs-client-3.0.4-1

Servers:
glusterfs-server-3.0.4-1
glusterfs-client-3.0.4-1
glusterfs-common-3.0.4-1

OS for all 7 machines:
Distribution - RHEL 5.5
Kernel - stock 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5

> I've had problems with some kernels between 2.6.31 and 2.6.32-r10
> (-r10 is a Gentoo release number) with GlusterFS 3.0.4 inside a KVM
> and KVM versions < 0.12.4. Kernel 2.6.30 or latest 2.6.32-r11
> and KVM 0.12.4 seem to work fine now. We also have had some
> NFSv4 problems with the kernels mentioned above. 2.6.30 and
> 2.6.32-r11 doesn't have this problem.
>
> The problem was a race condition in KVM's virtio-net driver.
> Maybe you have some problems with your network(driver) too.

Hummmm, will see if it relates to the network driver, but since I
didn't see any kernel messages or packet errors, I doubt it's that :(

> Some weeks ago we have moved a directory which was used by a
> Drupal cache module from GlusterFS to NFSv4 since we've had a
> lot of problems with it. There was also heavy writing and reading
> into this directory. Currently I'm not sure anymore if this was
> a kernel or GlusterFS problem. I've never tested it again with
> GlusterFS. Some other directories with mainly reading are working
> fine.

Seems like our scenario... We'll move to the shared memory based
solution, but meanwhile ... :) A friend is testing some other features
like quick-read to see how it behaves too.

--
[]'s
Hugo