[Gluster-users] Netboot / PXE-Boot from glusterfs?

Jan kirchy at gmx.de
Fri Jun 18 07:57:45 UTC 2010

Hello Benjamin,

I think there should be more elegant ways to build the initrd.

I set up diskless servers that got their root-directory via nfs a few
years ago.
They shared the same installation (rootdir) and we had scripts in the
initrd to mount special directories under /var based on the hostname.
It was a little messy doing kernel-updates and updating everything.

Debian builds its initrd automatically after the installation of a new
kernel, based on your hardware and configuration. The tool used for that
(initramfs) has a lot of hooks to add your own modules or scripts.
I am sure it is possible to build a simple debian-package that adds
those scripts to your installation. Afterwards, you should even be able
to make a kernel-upgrade on the server although it is a net install.
Setting up a new installation should be as simple as starting
debootstrap (sets up a blank debian-installation (any architecture) in a
subfolder, can also install custom packages listed on the command line),
and then configure the tftp-server.
On the diskless server, you should have all possibilities (including
installation of packages, kernel-updates) that you have on any other
server that has its own disk.

I hope I'll have the time to have a closer look at this next week.

Jan