[Gluster-users] Netboot / PXE-Boot from glusterfs?

Mickey Mazarick mic at digitaltadpole.com
Thu Jun 17 16:22:27 UTC 2010

Heh sure although we took a circuitous route to get to where we are.

To start with I recommend using DRBL (diskless remote boot linux). It's
a well maintained project and will save you a lot of initial headaches
of creating initrds compiling etc.
http://drbl.sourceforge.net/

It's nfs based but will make an image of a machine so we started by
setting up an nfs based net boot using the base image it generated.
It set up dhcp, the tftp server and nfs although we discarded all that
(as I said circuitous). This at least gave us a good starting point so
we could first net boot, then add the gluster files to the initrd.

As I said it generates an initrd for you and puts all the scripts in a
folder and gives you an easy way to build your own. There are lots of
other tools that do this I just liked starting with it all in one place.

see their FAQ for how to generate the initrd and edit the init script
http://drbl.sourceforge.net/faq/fine-print.php?path=./2_System/04_how_to_debug_in_pxeinitrd.faq#04_how_to_debug_in_pxeinitrd.faq

Ok so we moved gluster and all the dependent libraries to the initrd
folder rebuilt it and edited the init script to mount gluster. We also
had to add all the dependencies too so there was a lot of 'ldd' trial
and error to get all the dependencies (we use infiniband so this will be
much less hectic for most ppl). Also you will find this a LOT easier
with a later kernel as they upped the initrd size.

Hope that's a step in the right direction.

-Mic