[Gluster-users] Netboot / PXE-Boot from glusterfs?

Jan kirchy at gmx.de
Thu Jun 17 11:29:50 UTC 2010

Am 17.06.2010 13:15, schrieb Benjamin Hudgens:
> Hello Jan,
>
> Our company took the approach of slurping our OS into a ram drive and
> then mounting file system points from Gluster.  The OS becomes
> expendable.  In our case (large amounts of dumb storage machines) this
> is okay.  We were itching to get away from NFS.  Boot time is slow while
> it reads directly from network ->  ram.  However, the final result is an
> OS that is extremely fast and no NFS dependency.
>
> Obviously this approach is only applicable in certain situations.

Hello Benjamin,

Thanks, that's an interesting idea - as long as the root filesystem is
not too big.
But even then, one might be able to split it up in the most important
files and directories that are needed to boot and mount the
glusterfs-directories.
This needs some time to figure out what are the minimum files needed to
boot until the glusterfs-directories are available - and a minor change
in the initrd (mount NFS, create ramdisk, copy files). But definitely
worth a try.

thanks
Jan