[Gluster-users] Netboot / PXE-Boot from glusterfs?

Daniel Maher dma+gluster at witbe.net
Thu Jun 17 09:37:22 UTC 2010

On 06/17/2010 11:08 AM, Jan wrote:

> - enables (diskless) Linux-Clients to boot over the network (debian,
> some "real servers", some virtual ones)
> Is this possible with glusterfs? Has anybody tried it? I understand it
> is not that easy with a FUSE-filesystem, and there does not seem to be a
> out-of-the-box solution, but has anybody tried it, maybe building custom
> initrds?

That's not what Gluster is for, really.  Fundamentally, Gluster is a
networked file system, and while it is highly malleable within that
context, it's not supposed to do anything other than provide a networked
file system.

If you want to do network boots you'll need to look into another
solution to provide that functionality.  That said, in theory there's
nothing stopping you from building Gluster into your initialisation
image, then using it once your systems are booted and operational.

> Security is only possible on a per-server-basis, right?

 From Gluster's perspective uniquely, yes.

--
Daniel Maher <dma+gluster AT witbe DOT net>