[Gluster-users] What if main server fails??

Krzysztof Strasburger strasbur at chkw386.ch.pwr.wroc.pl
Mon Dec 20 10:01:40 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 02:41:55PM +0530, Aditya Patadia wrote:
> What happens to my gluster server and all files if my main server fails??
> How can I rebuild it??
> Waiting for your supportive reply,
Please provide more details, as it depends on your configuration (i.e. your
servers ;).
If there was only one server (no replication) and its harddisk failed,
then all files are lost. But why use glusterfs for such a simple setup?
NFS would be better.
If the data were replicated on 2 servers, then you have a second copy of all
files and nothing is lost. The missing copy will be (or at least should be)
rebuilt automatically, when you replace the failing server and simply touch
all files on a client (ls -R).
If the data were distributed, only files residing on the failing server are
lost.
Krzysztof